First let me say that the most important part of mixing your vocals properly is recording them properly.

For the purposes of this article, I’ll assume that you already have a decent microphone ,  sound card, and recording software

Since, everyone uses different recording softwares, I’ll keep it general.

The first mistake that artist who are new to recording usually make is that they record their vocals too high. The reason they do this is because the music that they import into their recording programs is too high or too loud, so the artist turn themselves up in order to hear the vocals they are recording. Sounds logical, but it is the absolute wrong thing to do. Instead, you need to turn the music track(s) down.

At no point in time should any of your meters should ever be hitting the red (top). In fact, while recording, they should barely be hitting the yellow (middle). I know what some of you artists are thinking; “That’s too low…I need to hear the music and my vocals loud in my headphones to feel it.” Yeah, I know, I know. So in order to do that, you turn up the volume on just your head phones, and if that is still not enough then turn up the volume on your master track a little.  That should be loud enough.  Below is a screenshot of one of my sessions for illustration purposes. It is just a beat with no vocals but it will suffice.

In the above example, you will see that all of my faders are pretty low except my master fader. It is important to note that when you are turning down your faders for your tracks or two-track, that the meter readings on that track will not necessarily change, as is the case with my 13th track. The meter reads that it is in the yellow, hitting the orange a little, but if you notice, the master track is barely hitting the yellow and that is the meter that counts. (but if that 13th track was hitting the red, I would put a limiter on it to prevent that from happening).

So, what you need to do is once you import the tracks you are going to use for your music, then create a master track. Then you turn all the music tracks down (group them {highlight them then command + G on a mac}) until the meter on the master track is barely hitting the yellow on the loudest part of the beat, which is usually the chorus. Once you do that, then create the tracks you are going to use for your vocals. Once you do that, press record and adjust your vocal input levels (not your fader) until your have the volume and feel that you want. Don’t forget to turn up your headphones if it’s not loud enough for you. Ok…now you’re ready to record.

Once you finish recording, then you can mixing process. (some people like to put some plug ins on their vocals while they are recording, me personally, I just eq my voice before I record)

At any rate, you’re going to use three main plug in effects on all of your vocals. An Equalizer, reverb, and a delay. Start with the EQ.

What I find is that most of the vocals I mix, pretty much require the same general eq’ing. You want to take out some of your low end, and increase your high-midrange until you find the sweet spot for your voice. Here is an example:

So, in the above EQ, and mostly every vocal EQ, I roll off the bottom end (the 1,2,and 3 points) and then I manipulate the 9 in that general area in the above picture until I get the sound that sounds best for that vocalist or for me if the vocalist is me.

Same with the reverb, in that usually, the basic settings are the same for most vocals. The key is that you can’t apply too much reverb, a little is a lot.
A lot of times I just use the “basic small” preset.

When it comes to delay, you definitely want to go easy on it. The most important thing when it comes to delay is that your tempo is set to the right tempo because when your vocals echo, you want the echo to be on beat, not off. Here is an example of one of my delay settings;
The above setting would be for a lead vocal, but you would probably want to increase the mix, feedback or both for ad-lib tracks. Eventually you will need to learn how to automate these options to increase and decrease these variables at certain points in your song when you feel it is necessary.

But these are the three basic plug-ins that mostly every vocal needs. Once you have these things down then you can add or adjust and experiment to create or emulate other sounds and effects on your vocals. If there is an interest, I will write other articles on how to create other effects (auto-tune, screwed, filtered “Drake”…etc.)

Once again, I’m Out!

Eric L. Mims J. D.

www.freshoffabreakup.com

www.soundclick.com/foab

Comments

12/02/2015 12:10am

Snagit Easily create custom images and videos for demos, feedback, reviews, and more. Snag any image and enhance it with effects or create a quick video of your computer screen with no time restrictions. Then share your creations instantly with anyone. No matter what you're working on, Snagit helps you eliminate confusion and provide people with personal, meaningful content. Its allow screen capture to you. Webtechcoupons Provide You Snagit Coupons For Discount.

02/07/2017 3:33am

I am curious why you called your website "fresh off a break up". I have a clue of course, but I am curious about what happened. It's amazing how people like you come up with something nice after experiencing something which seem unhappy. It was nice that you can give detailed technical instructions here on how to go about with recording. It is very hard to look for step by step instructions like this so we really appreciate you blogging about this.

03/22/2017 8:28pm

I am totally agree with you, keep it up..!

12/18/2015 5:15am

To learn music and guitar it is best thing to join us because we are also providing quality delay pedals for your guitar if you want to buy then visit our site today.

03/22/2017 8:28pm

I think that is absolutely right about this..!

May I just say what a comfort to find someone who truly understands what they are talking about over the internet. You actually realize how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More and more people really need to check this out and understand this side of your story. I was surprised you're not more popular given that you most certainly have the gift.

I was very pleased to find this website. I want to to thank you for ones time for this wonderful read!! I definitely enjoyed every part of it and i also have you saved to fav to look at new things on your site.

01/25/2016 6:16am

I don't even know how I ended up here, but I thought this post was great. I don't know who you are but definitely you're going to a famous blogger if you aren't already; ) Cheers!

01/25/2016 11:55am

Oh my goodness! Amazing article dude! Thanks, However I am going through issues with your RSS. I don’t understand the reason why I can't join it. Is there anybody else getting the same RSS problems? Anyone that knows the answer will you kindly respond? Thanx!!

02/01/2016 1:44am

I wish I have a great vocals.

02/12/2016 8:16pm

May I simply just say what a relief to find a person that really knows what they're talking about over the internet. You certainly realize how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people must look at this and understand this side of the story. I was surprised you're not more popular because you certainly possess the gift.

02/12/2016 8:16pm

Can I simply say what a relief to find somebody who actually knows what they're talking about online. You definitely realize how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to look at this and understand this side of your story. It's surprising you aren't more popular because you surely possess the gift.

04/15/2016 6:41am

I'd better prefer a specialist works for me.

04/26/2016 11:13am

Blog moved out in chrome

Howdy, I do think your website might be having web browser compatibility issues. When I take a look at your blog in Safari, it looks fine but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping issues. I simply wanted to provide you with a quick heads up! Besides that, excellent website!

05/23/2016 4:03am

nice post thanks for sharing this blog

05/27/2016 9:19pm

Well then, i'll importance hard work an entire completely new exceptional web page together such libraries, We have been generally decided after i seen people web page

05/27/2016 10:01pm

We have been also over joyed concerning your existing wonderful gains on the inside your internet site may likely be much like at this time, may likely continually increase the goods your internet site.

05/27/2016 10:53pm

I quite like anything you constructed relating to this web page, This particular loved one and also the wife or husband as well as the husband or wife in addition to we get pleasure from, nonetheless I can source critiques by using data daily.

05/27/2016 11:30pm

I can ignore, however, an individual recommend as part of your issue, life-time may likely be brimming with demonstrations, to not typically be definitely not seen, nevertheless terminated!!!

06/30/2016 4:55am

What is your role in the record?

07/22/2016 8:24am

There are a few sorts of plate racer. Radio DJs or radio characters present and play music that is show on AM, FM, advanced or Internet radio stations. Club DJs select and play music in bars, dance club or discothèques, or at gatherings or raves, or even in stadiums. Versatile DJs go with compact sound frameworks and play recorded music at an assortment of occasions.

07/26/2016 7:38am

You just need to order a mix from professionals.

Hello there, You could have completed a fantastic job. I most certainly will absolutely digg them as well as my own element advocate so that you can my girlfriends. I'm sure they will be benefited from this web site.

We offer boost your Amazon Business !!!. We want to rank your product on Amazon 1st page with your product keyword. This is our guaranteed service. We do not want upfont. When get rank then pay the bill. Our service is Rank up Amazon Product on Amazon 1st Page or Top #1-10 Position.

01/02/2017 12:16am

01/25/2017 10:13pm

02/27/2017 11:48pm

This one is really such a amazing post and i am so delighted to be here and to read this perfect post.

03/15/2017 11:52am

A good DJ should be familiar so as to how to mix those vocals and produce those rocking music that DJs provide. Today DJs have become so popular, that a party without them seems like a day without a sun. You simply cannot hate DJ, for it is so dofferent and different from other types of music. Maybe this is the reason that so many people across the globe are DJ fans today. They even attend DJ concerts to show their love to this art. Realising its importance, many event organisers have now resortyed to include them in their parties , for their own good, to make the days for their guests , a one to remember. You would get quality DJs on many websites, like www.ambitious.nl.

04/07/2017 12:58am

Nowadays, there are a lot of equipment's available for mixing your voice, and it's help a lot to singers, you can make your voice beautiful by using these sources.

04/13/2017 12:56am

it is so different from other types of music and nice. Maybe this is the reason that so many people globally.